Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Android Programming

As described in the previous post I have wanted to integrate touch screen technology into one of my projects.  A couple of weeks ago after reading some introductory information on the Android SDK I decided to install it and give it a try.

I am lucky to live in an area where our county libraries have a subscription to Safari Books Online.  After doing some general reading up based on google search hits I jumped on Safari and did a search for books on Android.

The search resulted in a number of hits and after reviewing them I settled on Learning Android by Marco Gargenta.  This lead me to the open source training company Markana which has an excellent TechTV repository.  One of the video series they have is their Android Bootcamp Training Course which was presented by Marko Garenta based on the Learning Android book.

I used the books and the online videos to work my way through chapters 1 – 8 which provided me with enough knowledge to start working on a couple of my own examples.

To move forward I have made a lot of use of other people who have gone before me.  A lot of what I have learned has been based on examples from various web sites and forums.  In an attempt to give something back I plan to post some examples that I got working in an attempt to pass on what others have shown me.

My development environment consists of:

  • Windows 7 Professional x64
  • Eclipse Indigo Release 2
  • Revision 19 of the SDK
  • Android 4.0.3 (API 15)
  • Acer Iconia Tab A100 running ICS 4.0.3

While I have a good bit of experience with IT technology and programming Java is not one of my strong points.  If you see something that I have done that is wrong or could be improved please let me know.

If you have questions that I may be able to help with please post them in the comments and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

No comments: